Monday, July 11, 2011

Motivation

I've always felt that any effective training regimen requires that you get in touch with your Inner Asshole. This is the little voice inside your head that heaps abuse on you when you try to sleaze out of a workout.

By way of example, let's look at this morning. Freshly back from vacation, resolved to get on the bike every day this week, I woke up to find that it was damp and cold. Instantly, I started concocting reasons why getting on the bike this morning would be just a terrible idea:
  • It's a steel-frame bike, it'll get rusty.
  • Wet road surface: dangerous in traffic!
  • Also, slippery MUNI tracks!
  • Grey and foggy, bad visibility to cars.
Inner Asshole to the rescue! "There's a little water on the ground? Aww, WEEEAAAHHH, poor baby! GET ON THE BIKE, YEH FAT BASTID!"

Well, what do you know -- my Inner Asshole has a Boston accent. Just like my high-school gym teacher. Hm.

No comments: